Sunday, December 9, 2012

Final Sr. Seminar Blog

At the beginning of this course I had pretty much no plans as far as exactly what I want to do in the future.  I knew that I wanted to fly but I had no idea of in what capacity.  I am still open to any opportunities that come my way however, I have a more defined route that I would like to take at least to begin with.  I plan on completing my CFI and getting a position somewhere to build my hours that way.  I would like to become a CFII and eventually an MEI as well.  I figure that the best way to learn is to teach, along with that I would like to stay at least somewhat close to my family while I do so.  This is my reasoning for why I would like to go along this route to begin with. 

A lot of the things that we discussed in class and on the blog where things that I was mostly in the dark about.  I never truly kept up to date with aviation news, however over the course of this semester, partially due to this class I have familiarized myself much more with the aviation industry and the current hot topics going on.  This has greatly increased my knowledge about my future plans as well as my discussions on these blogs. 

I would have to say my favorite/most interested blog topic this semester was NextGen.  I found that it will most likely have the biggest influence over my career as a pilot and it will be a huge change for the aviation sector.  I found it very informative and drastically altered my idea's about how the future of airspace in the U.S. will be operated.  The least favorite/least interesting blog topic was about the GA sector in China.  Although I learned a lot about what is going on in China and the vast increase in occurring in GA in China currently it is not something that I am interested in as I do not plan on going to China to fly.  It was helpful in taking notice the potential that it has and the changes that it can play on a global scale, however it was a dry topic for me personally.

I truly enjoyed all of the guest speakers.  I felt they all brought tremendous amounts of knowledge and helpfulness to us.  They were all prepared and more than willing to answer any questions as well as assist us beyond the classroom.  The speaker I feel I took the most away from was Aubrey.  I felt like she has gone out and created a path that most Eagle students don't (or at least that isn't talked about very often).  Corporate flying is also something that I have looked into quite a bit and I find it fascinating. 

As far as my future, I plan on flight instructing until I build hours to move on to something else.  What that something else is, I am not sure yet.  I wouldn't mind flying airlines, and I wouldn't flying corporate or anything else.  I plan to build my hours to where I have numerous opportunities and make my decision then.  Following graduation I plan on finding a position somewhere instructing.  I also plan on staying up-to-date with current aviation issues by way of magazines, and online sources.  Those are my professional plans for the future at this point in time. 

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I enjoy having Aubrey as a guest speaker because she was an Eastern grad and her path was less typical. It's great to make keeping up with current issues part of your professional plan. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice that you are very open to different career paths! That will bring you many different opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that you can only really succeed when you open yourself up to new challenges within your career. So by being open to many different career paths I feel that you will truly succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so important to stay up on current issues affecting the industry. The industry changes so quickly. The more you know the better prepared you will be.

    ReplyDelete